We love summer on Block Island …We hope you will love it too
The International Student Center, ISC, is a second home for international students. It is a Block Island supplement to what is offered by your employer and your sponsor. For matters concerning your work and J-1 visa, you already know from your contract what the terms and conditions are regarding your visit here. You should have contact details for your Sponsor and for the State Department, keep them for reference.
SORRY WE CANNOT HELP YOU GET A J1 VISA. You have to go through the J1 Visa Program. We are here to help after you have found a place on the program, found a sponsor, and received your visa and placement.
The International Center offers help to enable you to get to Block Island, to become aware of its unique position, to help you settle in and enable your relaxation and friendship. You can ask here for advice or bring your experience to share with others. You can use online or personal contact. We hope much of it will be personal interaction, and that you find both welcome and ongoing friendships.
As well as helping you with your visit in any way we can, we offer free programs and facilities. Some to look for are:
- Open Monday through Saturday in the morning and again in the evening
- Games, TV, WiFi, scanning and printing
- Free dinner every Tuesday and Friday night
- Coffeehouse with live music on Friday evenings with BI residents
- Shopping trips to the mainland
- Ping-pong, futbol, volleyball, basketball and soccer
If you need – we can help with
- getting a bicycle or basic phone
- use of a free kitchen where you can cook
- assistance with online shopping (BI does not have street addresses for delivery!)
- registration with the Student and Exchange Visitor program [SEVIS]
- printing your 1-94 or any other documents
- finding out how to get a bank account and social security card
- getting comfortable with the housing where you will be living
Find out more about all sorts of things here, or come in and talk to one of the staff.